Thursday, April 30, 2009

Singledom

I am single. I have been single for the past eight years now. During those eight years, I have learned so much about myself, gained some self confidence, and worked on being happy with me. I have gone to therapy, bought my first car, took surfing lessons, started running, acquired an excellent job (which I adore), made new friends and lost some old ones, ran my first marathon, went back to school for my masters, moved to the city, volunteered, and traveled a bit. I'm pretty happy with my life and consider myself lucky. At one point, I was the complete opposite; I hated the way my body looked, the way I acted, my relationships (or lack there of).

I try to remind myself of how far I've come and focus on the positive aspects of my life. Be present, not worry about the future. But sometimes, it's just hard to remain so positive. Everyone around me is in a relationship and I'm kinda down in the dumps about being single today. I am so over dating. Meeting boys in bars, on-line dating, awkward first dates, being stood up...it's so draining. I just want to meet someone I have an undeniable connection with and have that guy not be a tool. Someone who is a nice, sweet, and genuine person. Is that too much to ask??? Sometimes I think it is and I will be single forever. Ugh.

4 comments:

amy b.s. said...

sounds like you've go a lot of positive things going for you and you just haven't met anyone that can keep up yet. you will. however, i've been with the same guy for a little over 5 years (married for 8 months) and there are days i wish i were single. because it's fun. you tend to forget all the bad dates when you haven't had a date in a while...

jasmine said...

ohhhh i have totally been there. i was single for two years (like absolutely single, didn't go on annnny dates). at first, it was SO hard, and i hated it. then i got to the point where i was really happy and felt like i was really growing as a person. i still had my down moments (like you were experiencing the other day) though. you'll find someone! and it will be SO worth it when you do. you'll be so happy you didn't settle. i know i am. i am grateful every single day for those two years alone. they brought me to where i am now! even though we don't know each other, i can't WAIT for you to find someone amazing! :)

Aline said...

I am sure that you will find someone...you sound like you have a great head on your shoulders!!

Jason Levy said...

Other people have been in and out of relationships, and everyone has a different opinion about it and what they want, and the type of person they look for. I will say that you sound awesome and I think anyone one would be lucky to date you, and it seems like it would be impossible to hang out with you and not have a good time.

Also, other people have blogs they write him, but are not as good with uploading pics onto it.

p.s. I like you :)

http://jasonlevy328.blogspot.com/