Wednesday, April 15, 2009

One is silver and the other is gold

Any girl scouts out there? If so, this title probably strikes a cord with you. The song goes something like this, “Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other is gold.”. I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. Yesterday was just a plain old bad day for me. I vented to a new friend here at work and she helped me beyond belief. Just having a closed door session with her for 20 minutes put me in a better mood. So when I came into work this morning and found this, I was moved to tears.


I consider myself to be a very lucky girl; for I have a handful of amazing ladies I call my close/best friends. Rare, I know. I honestly treasure my friendships. Each and every one of them have taught, inspired, and supported me more than they will ever know.

I am currently taking a class entitled "Leadership and Intercultural Communication" for my masters degree. In this class, we have discussed the term "social intelligence", interacting or communicating with your co-workers and business partners to gain knowledge. Every person in your environment is a resource, be it good or bad resource, you still have so much to learn from him or her. I feel this way about my friends too (Note: they're all excellent resources). They are all so unique and different in their own way. I like to think of them as my "gurus". I have my "dating guru", "etiquette guru", "fashion guru"....you get the point. Just wanted to take a moment to recognize and give a shout-out to all the remarkable women in my life. You know who you are. A million times thank you! I <3>

2 comments:

LadyRed said...

That was such a sweet thing for her to do! I love your whole post about friendship. It makes me wonder what type of guru I am... hmmm

lgiove said...

Mrs. Baker - You are truly a rare breed. You are my everything guru! There's no limit to your wisdom and greatness. You always know just want to say when I'm down, what I should wear on the first date, and when to call (not text a guy)...the list is endless. You are my bestie for life :) I <3 you!